Investing in Rural Communities, Getting Every Virginian Online, Revitalizing the Quality and Accessibility of Rural Health Care, Creating Equitable Access to Education and Supporting Virginia Farmers
Terry will ensure that rural communities are prioritized in Virginia’s post-COVID economic recovery. He will get every Virginian online, promote access to virtual training and career opportunities and make telehealth available throughout rural areas. Terry will attract jobs by launching Virginia’s first intentional rural economic development hub and establishing rural communities as the energy innovation capitals of the East Coast. He will also invest in rural education and workforce development and will support the farmers who are vital to the success of our economy. Terry’s plan will create jobs, support families and drive sustainable economic growth in rural economies.
As Virginia’s 72nd Governor, Terry prioritized rural economic development and helped grow exports of agricultural and forestry products to over $3 billion for the first time in Virginia’s history. Terry also created 200,000 new jobs, thousands of which were in rural communities, and most rural counties saw unemployment cut by nearly 50 percent during his term. Terry worked to address the opioid epidemic in rural Virginia, creating the Governor’s Task Force on Prescription Drug and Heroin Abuse, declaring the opioid overdose epidemic a public health emergency, and signing numerous bills to reduce over-prescribing and increase access to naloxone. Terry paved the way for Medicaid expansion, which has since extended coverage to more than 530,000 Virginians.
The Work Ahead
- Deliver universal broadband coverage by the end of Terry’s term.
- Pilot Virginia’s first-ever intentional economic development hub, deploying high-impact investments in a span of neighboring rural jurisdictions to drive sustainable economic growth.
- Invest in Virginia’s crumbling school infrastructure.
- Break down health care disparities by investing in federally-qualified health centers and telehealth, providing more basic health services in schools and bringing virtual health clinics to local communities.
- Support farmers by investing in smart farming technologies, increasing access to educational opportunities and establishing rural Virginia as a major supplier of specialty crops.
- Establish rural communities in Virginia as the energy innovation capitals of the East Coast.