Terry Continues to Build a Broad Coalition of Support for His Bold Vision to Invest in Education and Create a More Equitable Post-COVID Economy
MCLEAN, VA – Former and current Fairfax County Board of Supervisors Chairs Sharon Bulova and Jeff McKay today endorsed Terry McAuliffe for governor. These leaders from Virginia’s most populous locality are supporting Terry because of his big, bold vision to make an unprecedented investment in education, secure Virginia’s post-COVID economic recovery, and create a more equitable Virginia. Chairman Bulova, and then-Supervisor McKay, have worked closely with Terry to bring major economic gains to Fairfax County.
In the two weeks since he launched his campaign, Terry has built a large and growing coalition of support, including his campaign Co-Chairs Senate President Pro Tempore L. Louise Lucas, House Majority Leader Charniele Herring, and Richmond Mayor Levar Stoney, Speaker of the House of Delegates Eileen FIller-Corn, as well as numerous legislators and mayors from across the Commonwealth.
“Virginia’s next governor will face tremendous challenges as our Commonwealth recovers from this pandemic and its economic effects. We need someone who sees the full scope of the task at hand, someone who thinks big and acts boldly, someone who will use this as an opportunity to push Virginia forward. That person is Terry McAuliffe,” said Former Fairfax County Board of Supervisors Chairman Sharon Bulova. “Just yesterday, Terry released a plan to ensure every Virginian has access to regular, nutritious meals as part of his bold post-COVID recovery agenda. This is on top of Terry’s big and bold plan to ensure every Virginia child has an equitable, world-class education. Terry gets it and I am proud to stand with him.”
“I am proudly endorsing Fairfax County’s own Terry McAuliffe for governor today because we need a leader with his vision to lift up our vulnerable populations, hardworking families, and all Virginians,” said Fairfax County Board of Supervisors Chairman Jeff McKay. “Local governments have experienced the brunt of this pandemic and we need our next governor to have big and bold ideas. Terry will use this pandemic as an opportunity to recover and push Virginia and our county forward. He will work with local governments and the Democratic majorities in Richmond to boldly invest in our education system, go big in our COVID recovery, and fight for equity for all.”
“I’m proud to have the endorsements from two great leaders who have always acted big and boldly for Fairfax County: Chairman Bulova and Chairman McKay,” said Terry McAuliffe. “They understand better than most what it will take to create a strong post-COVID economy that lifts up localities and addresses disparities that have held families, particularly Black and Brown Virginians, down for far too long. I’m ready to get to work alongside these leaders to make sure Virginia goes big and bold in our recovery.”
Since launching his campaign, Terry has unveiled bold plans to strengthen Virginia’s education system, create an equitable post-COVID economy, and ensure Virginians have access to regular nutritious meals. As governor, Terry will get teacher pay above the national average for the first time in Virginia history, expand preschool to every 3 and 4-year old child in need, and get every single Virginia student online. He will also take bold and decisive action to create jobs, protect workers, invest in mental health services, and rebuild Virginia’s thriving network of small businesses, particularly Black and Brown-owned businesses.
These Fairfax County leaders join a growing, broad coalition of support for Terry McAuliffe for governor:
- Senate President Pro-Tempore L. Louise Lucas (Co-Chair of Terry for Virginia)
- House Majority Leader Charniele Herring (Co-Chair of Terry for Virginia)
- Richmond Mayor Levar Stoney (Co-Chair of Terry for Virginia)
- House Speaker Eileen Filler-Corn (Fairfax County)
- House Education Committee Chair Delegate Roslyn Tyler (Counties of Brunswick, Greensville, Lunenburg, Southampton, Sussex, and Cities of Emporia and Franklin)
- House Transportation Committee Chair Delores McQuinn (Counties of Charles City, Chesterfield, Henrico, and City of Richmond)
- House Appropriations Chair Luke Torian (Prince William County)
- Senate Appropriations and Finance Committee Chair Janet Howell (Counties of Arlington and Fairfax)
- Senator Lionell Spruill (Cities of Chesapeake and Norfolk)
- Delegate Cliff Hayes, Jr. (Cities of Chesapeake and Virginia Beach)
- Delegate Mike Mullin (Counties of James City and York, and Cities of Newport News and Williamsburg)
- Delegate Alex Askew (City of Virginia Beach)
- Delegate Don Scott (City of Portsmouth)
- Delegate Martha Mugler (Counties of York, Hampton, and Poquoson)
- Delegate Steve Heretick (Cities of Chesapeake, Norfolk, and Portsmouth)
- Mayor Kenny Alexander (Norfolk)
- Mayor McKinley Price (Newport News)
- Mayor Donnie Tuck (Hampton)
- Mayor-Elect Shannon Glover (Portsmouth)
- Mayor Sherman Lea (Roanoke)
To learn more about Terry’s vision for Virginia, visit www.TerryMcAuliffe.com.